Friday, October 7, 2011

For Ala Lovelace Day, 2011.. Memories of Louisa White


My memories of Louisa White are as a young kid visiting her family's summer home some Sundays after Quaker Meeting in Providence, RI. She was a contemporary of my grandparents, and must have been professor emerita by then. She encouraged my mother to consider nursing as a good career choice for a professional woman.

The story, which an afternoon's internet searching cannot corroborate, is that as a young woman, she had gone to Teheran, Iran, and had set up a school of nursing there. It seemed an adventurous choice to me.

In the mid 1940-s, having returned to the states, she started the College of Nursing at the University of Rhode Island in Kingston. My mom did graduate that program in the late 1950-s. The school's White Hall is named in her honor.

Louisa White. Mentor, Science Educator, Quaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments. Request product information here or through my email. I will not publish comments that you wish kept private.